Many doctors say that Alzheimer’s Disease is the largest public health problem for the next 50 years. The Alzheimer’s Association has listed 10 signs that may signal the onset of the brain destroying illness:
- Memory changes that disrupt daily life;
- Challenges in planning or solving problems;
- Difficulty completing familiar tasks at home, work, or leisure;
- Confusion with time or place;
- Trouble understanding visual images and spatial relationships;
- New problems with words in speaking or writing;
- Misplacing things and losing the ability to retrace steps;
- Decreased or poor judgment;
- Withdrawal from work or social activities;
- Changes in mood and personality.
Also, according to Dr. J. Carson Smith of the University of Maryland Public School of Health, just by putting seniors suffering from mild memory impairment on a three-month exercise regimen focused on regular treadmill walks, their brain function improved along with the ability to remember familiar names. According to him: “no study has shown that a drug can do what we showed is possible with exercise!”
Finally, Dr. Gwenaelle Douard of Oxford University gave volunteers either a placebo or a combination of B12, B6, and Folic Acid (all “B” vitamins) and found that those who took the vitamins had 29% less brain degeneration that those taking the placebo.
For more information go to: www.alz.org or call the Alzheimer’s Association’s 24hr hotline at 1-800-272-3900.